- Magnificent period country house (not Listed) dating from c. 1500 with substantial later additions & providing beautifully proportioned & extensive family accommodation (overall circa 6,550 sq ft.)
- Situated in an accessible rural location with lovely outlook over mature gardens & land with distant views from parts to the South Downs
- Reception hall, drawing room, dining room, sitting room to sun room, snug/family room, study, kitchen/breakfast room, utility & pantry, laundry/work room. Cellar.
- To the first floor: Large principal bedroom suite, 2 further ensuite bedrooms, single bedroom, family bathroom; potential self-contained first floor flat including dining room with kitchenette, sitting room, bedroom & shower room
- Private carriage driveway to garaging. Landscaped gardens, tennis court, swimming pool with retractable cover & adjacent changing rooms & stores
- Pasture land, pond & small area of woodland.
- Overall approximately 11.75 acres (4.76 Ha).
Belmoredean House comprises a magnificent detached family country house believed to originally date from circa 1500 and including the shell of a three bay late Medieval hall house and all set in approx. 11.75 acres (4.76Ha). The house, which is not Listed, includes substantial later additions including the impressive Victorian wings to the South side creating an appealing mixture of original features through the different periods of construction and with very well proportioned rooms and including high ceilings to the later additions. Historically, the house formed part of a larger land holding and had been known at different times by different names including Blatchmoredean after John de Blachmeredene, an early 14th C. parish resident and before being renamed Belmoredean in the early 19th century.
Owned by different generations of the Ward family from the late 16th Century, the property was sold to Reverend John Goring of the Wiston Estate in 1856 and, at that time, Belmoredean extended to approximately 166 acres and included the nearby Champions Farm. Between 1866 and 1871 the former 'comfortable farmhouse' had been transformed to a 'gentleman's residence' and by 1875 the Ordnance Survey map showed the substantially extended new country house. In 1919 the property was sold as part of the Belmoredean Estate including Champions Gate Farm and extended overall to approximately 104 acres. The particulars at that time described Belmoredean as 'an old-fashioned country house with views of great beauty extending to the South Downs'. The house maintains its great proportions and setting to this day with fine views across neighbouring countryside to the Downs from parts. The 1919 sales particulars also described the 'beautifully wooded pleasure gardens with mature lime avenue walk and large lawns for tennis or croquet'. Much of the core of these gardens and grounds remain and providing an impressive setting to the fine family house with its level areas of lawn, landscaped to different terraces and with hard tennis court below and discreetly situated heated swimming pool to one side of the house with retractable summer/winter cover plus adjacent changing rooms and outhouses. The pasture land lies to the South-West and is enclosed by a mixture of stock fencing, hedgerows and trees, with area of pond to one side and with lane frontage and access to the Eastern side.
Overall, the property extends to approximately 11.75 acres (4.76 Ha) and offers great potential to be sympathetically further refurbished and improved to a purchaser's own requirements to create an impressive and handsome country house with lovely family accommodation and grounds.