- A superb & compact rural estate including a handsome & historic Grade II Listed 5 bed farmhouse
- Set in the middle of its beautiful park like pasture and wood land & together with extensive outbuildings with potential (STC)
- Separate, detached 2 bed oak framed cottage
- Enviable rural location with lovely views, long private entrance drive & direct bridleway access
- Available for sale as a whole or in lots
- Extending overall to approx 71 acres (28.73 Ha.)
A superb compact rural estate including a handsome & historic Grade II Listed 5 bedroom farmhouse, extensive outbuildings and separate cottage and set in the middle of beautiful park like pasture and woodland extending overall to approx. 71 acres (28.73 Ha).
The property is available for sale as a whole or in lots: Lot 1 extends to approx. 20 acres (8.09 Ha) and includes the farmhouse, entrance drive and areas of pasture land. Optional Lot 1A (approx. 4 acres - 1.2 Ha) adjoins the drive and opposite Twisted Oak and comprises pasture land which might potentially be combined with either Lots 1, 2 or 3. Lot 2 comprises the core of the pasture land and woodland plus the extensive range of buildings with potential (STC) and covering approx. 46 acres (18.61 Ha.). Lot 3 comprises Twisted Oak with its immediate garden, drive and additional ground to extend to approx. 1 acre (0.40 Ha.) in total.
The Farmhouse (Lot 1)
The fine, Grade II Listed farmhouse is set in lovely part moated gardens and grounds and includes mellow external elevations of part brickwork with tile hanging above and part exposed oak framing and which is mirrored to the inside with exposed beams and fine framing to the drawing room/study area. The building is of considerable history and antiquity, with the former manor house being timber framed of half H-plan and including 14th C. doorways to part and 17th C. later chimneys. The book, 'The Victoria History of the County of Sussex', records that the Clothall family lived locally from 1308 and Adam of Clothall married one of the daughters of Richard of Grinstead. John Clothall was believed to have later held the manor of Clothalls and is potentially the same John Clothall who held a knight's fee in West Grinstead in 1361. From the late 14th C. until the early 19th C. the manor descended with the Clothall moiety of Thakeham manor. In around 1836, Clothalls was sold by the Revd. Thomas Ferris to Sir Charles Burrell (of Knepp Castle) and thereafter descended with the West Grinstead manor. Until recently the property formed part of the larger West Grinstead Park Estate.
The farmhouse includes accommodation of character spread over two floors and is considered - subject to all planning & Listed Building consents and Buildings Regulations approval - to offer scope to sensitively further adapt and improve the existing flexible layout and as well as to potentially include sympathetic enlargement and including within the unconverted boiler and store room areas to the North end and at the same time further external landscaping to take advantage of the house's superb setting in the middle of its estate. Close-by to the farmhouse is a pretty two storey old granary/garage building and which is similarly felt to offer potential for sensitive and sympathetic conversion and adaptation for ancillary uses (STC).
The Farm Buildings (Lot 2)
These extensive outbuildings lie to the West of the drive with different entrance points and good areas of hard standing. Significant parts of the buildings have been improved or renewed in recent years and are considered to offer good potential - subject to all consents - for alternative uses and including for equestrian or other uses (STC). The buildings include a substantial modernised workshop and storage barn with a fully enclosed workshop section with Powrmatic oil fired space heater and large 'tail-lift' end door to an external concrete apron. A substantial 12-bay open fronted steel framed barn lies to the West and to the North is a large 7-bay livestock barn, plus an adjacent old dairy building and former sheep barn.
Twisted Oak (Lot 3)
The pretty oak framed detached cottage guards the entrance drive and includes entrance hall with cloakroom, kitchen/dining room with fitted units, sitting room, two bedrooms and a bathroom. There is a South facing main garden area plus side parking/drive area.
The Pasture & Woodland (whole)
A wonderful feature of Clothalls is the surrounding pasture and woodland. The gateway to the farm opens into a park like setting with pasture land bordering the long private entrance drive which leads past Twisted Oak and the farm buildings to the farmhouse and then forms a ring fence around the farmstead and in turn overlooks neighbouring land of the surrounding West Grinstead Estate. There are many mature oak trees, plus the attractive mixed broadleaf Hobshorts Wood to the South-West corner. Clothalls has the advantage of direct bridleway access linking to extensive hacking including on the Downs Link and there are also public footpaths crossing the farm leading to a good variety of country walks and also to the historic St. George's, West Grinstead Parish Church.