- Impressive & substantial Grade II Listed attached Georgian house (c. 3680 sqft)
- With very well proportioned, principally South facing, accommodation
- 3 receptions rooms, kitchen/breakfast room, 7 bedrooms & 4 bathrooms
- Private driveway with potential garage space, (stc) South facing gardens
- Central village location very convenient to High Street
***Guide Price £1,250,000 to £1,300,000***Martyn Lodge comprises an impressive and substantial attached period house of Georgian origin with later additions and alterations and historically being part of a larger house, outbuildings and grounds which were divided into three main dwellings (East Martyns, Lodge Cottage & Martyn Lodge) and with Martyn Lodge forming the principal and most substantial of the three. The impressive and tall three storey house includes a stuccoed white painted front and side painted brick elevations with modillion eaves cornice and string course. The main facade is punctuated by deep sash windows in moulded architrave surrounds plus impressive front porch with Doric columns to the front door with its moulded panels and rectangular fan light over.
The house historically sat in extensive grounds which stretched to the High Street. Of local interest -and as commemorated by the blue plaque to the front of the building - the house was once the home of the late Canon Nathaniel Woodard, founder of the Woodard schools including Lancing & Hurstpierpoint Colleges and who lived in the house between 1862 until his death in 1891. The Anglican Canon was well known in the area and there is an interesting piece of local history in connection with the nearby thatched Listed cottage to the West, now known as the Cat House and situated at Pinchnose Green (so called because there used to be a tannery nearby and the process of tanning produced unpleasant owners) on the pathway to the Parish church. The cottage had once been owned by a Robert Ward who had a pet canary, but which was reputedly killed by a cat belonging to Canon Woodard. So incensed was Ward, that he painted his cottage - now known as the Cat House - with a picture of a cat holding a bird and which could then be seen by the Canon as he walked past the cottage on his way to church. Ward is also said to have rigged up a string of sea shells to rattle and a figure would appear at a small window called Zulo hole when the hapless Canon was seen approaching. The Cat & Canary public house situated in West End Lane (beyond Church Street) was named as a result of this incident.
After WWI, Misses Ethel & Hilda Dixon-Brown lived at Martyn Lodge and ran the first Henfield Guides & Brownies troop. From the 1930's until WWII, the house was used a grammar school run by Mr. Mayes tutoring local boys aiming for their university exams. In wartime, it was requisitioned by the Canadian Army who apparently invited local children over to watch films. In later years, the buildings had been a care home, before being converted into private dwellings at a similar time to the land to the East (which had historically formed part of the ornamental gardens to Martyn Lodge and then more recently a nursing wing) was being developed in 2001 into five mews houses. (sources Wikipedia, Henfield Hub, 'Hidden Henfield' and 'Henfield Then & Now').